Monday, November 5, 2012

Politics!! ACK!!


Hello Emmanuel,

I've been feeling pretty stressed lately.  Emmanuel is on the precipice of some rather significant transition.  Over the next month, decisions will be made about Saturday worship, possible new staff and a 2013 budget that is currently looking at significant increases.  While these issues would be enough, there is one other issue that is tempting me to lose my mind.....

Political phone calls.....

In years past, I have been able to dodge and weave through the passionate, yet biased push to get me to vote for so-and-so.  This year?  I'm not sure if it is because my patience is thinner or if it is because the political push is rougher.  What I do know is that, on any given day, I am getting 10-15 phone calls in regards to something political (and the church gets the same phone calls).  Grrrrrrr.....

For those who don't know me, I am passionate about politics...  as in:  I'm convinced that politics is a mean-spirited rotten egg that has over-complicated and over-spent what should be a much simpler and straightforward process.  When it comes to facebook, I try to stay silent (and do you know how hard that is for me?).  The game of politics an insult to my intelligence.  Do I really think one side has all the answers to everything?  And do I really think that the other side constantly lies about everything?  Please!!!  I work with sinners.  I know better.  
For me, politics should be about getting the right person in the right place to do the right thing.  It's a good thing I'm not involved in politics..... oh wait... I am.....

Every so often I'll hear a person complain about politics in the church.  I won't be so naive to think or say that there isn't any at Emmanuel.  However, I do believe that 'politics' doesn't have to be a bad word.  Instead of spending our energy trying to convince everyone to one side of the fence or the other, why don't we instead find out what we have in common and organize ourselves to live into our purpose?  Granted, it's much difficult to do that on a national, secular level, but the church certainly has shown it can also get bogged down into the who-likes-who battles.

But what about Emmanuel?  We are more concerned about people knowing Jesus.  Are you a right person for a right job?  Can you fit somewhere to help Emmauel live into our purpose... our process of helping others get to be disciples of Jesus?  We are looking for servant leaders in all areas:  Worship, Hospitality, Outreach, Missions, Faith-Forming Relationships, Trustees, Finance, Care, etc;  In the weeks ahead you will be invited to consider your Call within the church.  What can you offer to make Emmanuel more like the church God wants it to be?  I'm looking forward to your answer.

Who knows... you might get a phone call. 
God is Good,
Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment