Monday, December 24, 2012

I Got Coal


Hello Emmanuel,

I'll start with honesty.  This has turned out to be one of the most frustrating Christmases I can remember.  First, the flu.  Then Laryngitis.  I had only missed 2 Sundays in 16 years due to sickness before this year.  This year alone I've missed 2.  Not only is it frustrating to be too sick to preach, but I've learned that being well enough to attend worship, but not being able to speak, is even more frustrating.  

To heighten the frustration is the fact that it happened on Christmas Sunday.  It is one of those few Sundays when a preacher KNOWS he is going to get the opportunity to grab someone with the Good News.  And all I could do is sit in the back row and observe.  I couldn't even greet the new people.  I was so grumpy when I left that I didn't say anything the whole drive to my in-laws' Christmas (not that I could've).

Now that I've been honest, it is time to be confessional.  Christmas isn't about the preacher.  Indeed, any given Sunday is not about the preacher.  The children's program went very well..... oh... right... Christimas isn't about the children's program.  Though Beth and the parents did well in getting it ready.... riiiiiight...... Christmas isn't about the helpers either (though do pray for Beth... I think she got what I've had.).  In my 'opportunity' to sit back and observe for once, I was put in my place.  I was grumpy, but God wasn't.  He was busy inspiring people to proclaim Good News.  Whoever said I had to be involve every single time?

Now I've been honest and confessional.  Now it is time to challenge you.  Many of you are leaders at Emmanuel.  I have news.  We are getting new leaders.  We've had as many as 15 new people commit to helping in some way in 2013 and that doesn't count the new Associate Pastor, Shawn Young (his official introduction will be January 6th and I will send some special info your way in next week's MMP).

The challenge is this.  You current leaders are going to have to scootch over just a bit and make room.  I know, I know, some of you are thrilled there is going to be more help.  But some of you are going to say it and not want to let go of some of your authority.  But dare I say it?  The Church isn't about you. The Church is about 'making disciples'. Those of us who already are disciples in the church are in charge of making room for more people to be disciples in the church.  This means to share the opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus.

This doesn't mean any of you have to stop what you are doing and sit with me in the back and observe.  If you claim this, then that is called being a 'martyr' and it isn't the constructive kind of martyr.  It just means to be sensitive to what other people are Called to do as well as find ways to live into your Call.  Trust me, there is plenty of room for all kinds of servant leadership.  We just need to be careful to not get possessive with God's ministry.  He doesn't give us ministry to own.  He entrusts us with His ministry to implement.

So what will I be doing in 2013.  More than ever, I am going to make sure that the servant leadership at Emmanuel expands.  This means I may have to be a bit bold with some of you.  I will be nice about it.  I will be encouraging about it...... with a smile on my face and a hop in my step.

Just don't get grumpy.  It isn't worth it.  Trust me.  I know.

Christ Is Born,
Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment