Monday, February 11, 2013

God of Dreams


Hello Emmanuel,

I’m in such a good mood today, I can hardly stand it.  I just spent two hours sitting with a mentor of mine (Rev. Dan Glover, Tipp City UMC) and talking and dreaming about the future.  If this makes some of you nervous, it should.  A pastor who gets the opportunity to plan and dream about the future can make many people nervous.

It has been too long since I have had the opportunity to talk one-on-one with any of my mentors.  It has caused me to consider the vast advantages to having a relationship with a peer that has more experience and more insight than I.  While I am grateful for what I was able to do today, I am also making a mental note to do more of it in the future. 

How about you?  Do you have someone with whom you can dream with---someone with you whom you highly respect and yet someone who is willing to push you to go further and do more than you think you can?
As I consider my role as an equipper and encourager of leaders, I must also remember that I need to be equipped and encouraged as well.  I walked into my time with Dan with a few questions.  I walked away with hope…. Even more hope for Emmanuel.  We have gone to great places together as we introduce people to Jesus and nurture discipleship relationships.  Dare I say that we have only begun? 

I invite you to consider your walk as a disciple of Jesus.  Are you being encouraged enough?  Are you being equipped enough?  If not, please talk with me.  Not every issue is solvable, but I do believe that many more are solvable if we are willing to have the conversations around them.  Many times we are too afraid or too timid or too overwhelmed to consider even talking about them.  Granted, sometimes the conversations can be intense, scary, even fierce (albeit it in a Christian way)..... but…..

Many times I have felt the same way.  Today was one of them.  I felt burdened by issues that weighed heavily, at times.  However, when you realize that you don’t have to be in it alone, the burden isn’t so heavy even if the burdens persist.  And in a best case scenario, you find doors open and new directions put in place and God is standing their ready to bless you. 

As I continue to be excited about the direction Emmanuel is going, I also invite you to find a way to get excited (or more excited ) too.  Find time to dream with someone else who has similar aspirations. 
It all starts with dreaming….. God is even the God of dreams….  May you be encouraged.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment