Monday, October 7, 2013

Ready To Be Evaluated?

Hello Emmanuel,

My annual evaluation is over….. I think…..

Every year around this time, I am evaluated on two different fronts.  First, Emmanuel evaluates me via the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.  It is a team made up of extremely wise people who have high intelligence, good looks and plenty of great faith…. At least that is what I tell them.

They gave me an ‘A+’ evaluation.  (insert smiley face here…. With a wink)

For those who doubt the high integrity and vast insight of the SPRC, let me attempt to put your mind at ease.  In the United Methodist Church, the SPRC is only part of my evaluation.  I also get evaluated at the District level.  Every year around this time, I go to the District office and have a one-on-one with the Superintendent of the Ohio River Valley District that oversees the 100+ churches in the Cincinnati Region.

Ever hear of the saying ‘flattery gets you nowhere?’

I obviously jest regarding both parts of my evaluation process.  However, it is two very different kinds of evaluating.  For one, with the SPRC, there is an aspect of personal relationships involved.  We work together; do ministry together; solve problems together; create problems together; hurt, love and celebrate together.  It would be impossible not to have an amount of subjectivity when evaluating how I do my job.  It’s human.

So there is also the other side.  The district—because they don’t work among us through the year—get to look at my work from a more analytical perspective.  How is attendance?  Giving?  Membership? Small Groups?  Hospitality?  What are our goals?  How are we going to get there?

Not to suggest that the two parts are entirely polarized.  The SPRC does analyze results as well.  And the District does concern themselves with the relationship between pastor and the church.  But maybe you get the idea that the two help bring fairness to the process.  I like it.

What about you?  Do you like to be evaluated?  Maybe?  Maybe only if you pass?  And what does ‘passing’ mean?  Here is where I suggest we all take a deep breath and give thanks to God.  While it is important to evaluate how we do ministry together, our evaluation is for the purpose of making God as happy as possible.  The good part of the evaluation process is that it has nothing to do with the state of our soul.

Jesus died for you so that your evaluation doesn’t speak to your reward or punishment of your soul either now or later.  Our ministry together is out of thanksgiving for such grace.  I very often feel very free to experiment with ministry ideas, including the thriving or failing of ministry, because God has promised to still love me in any case.  This is partly why I do not sweat during my evaluations.  As much as I appreciate the accountability of the wise SPRC and very cool District office, I do what I do because God has freed me to do so. 

And so I hope as we work together, we do what we do because we are greatly appreciative that God has freed us to do so.  True, I may still feel some pressure to do well in my job, but the state of my soul isn’t on the line.  That is a big reason why, at the end of every MMP, I close it by saying…..

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment