Monday, November 4, 2013

My Cat Doesn't Care

Hello Emmanuel,

First, thanks to everyone who showed appreciation to me during Pastor’s Appreciation Month.  In a Call that can be very challenging, it’s encouraging to be reminded how loved I am. 

But my cat doesn’t care……

Dora has a good life and a very strong personality.  We call her Catdog (based off an old cartoon) because she has dog-like characteristics.  She knows that when Kim gets up in the morning that it is time to eat, but she won’t eat until Kim is in the same room.  She will go to bed with us when it is time and sleep at the foot of the bed until we disturb her enough… then she sleeps beside us on the floor.  She waits at the picture window while we are gone and runs to the door when we get home.  She doesn’t bark, but it is probably because she thinks she is too cool to do so.  She knows when she is doing something wrong (like trying to sneak outside or into the garage) and expects to be chastised when she gets caught.  She snores quite loudly at times and likes to play around 8:00 at night.  You can see how she may think the world revolves around her.

So while I may feel very appreciated….. my cat doesn’t care.

There is a lot of debate about the state of an animal’s soul (or even if there is one).  I won’t go into that debate here, though biblically one could go either way.  What I want to focus on is the uniqueness of us humans and what we DO know about us.

We care that we love each other.  This really comes through in a healthy church.  Over the past month I experienced more than appreciation.  I’ve been experiencing more than a few moments when people chose to love each other.  I’m not ashamed to admit that I got warm, fuzzy feelings.

And the love is being developed into ministry programs as well.  We started a new Small Group yesterday.  It was a great start and if you are not a part of a Small Group, you are invited to try this one out through mid December (Sundays at 7:00 PM). 

Tiffany McGuire has scheduled a meeting for volunteers for the new Elder and Family Care Ministry.  It will be November 14th at 6:30.

Youth continues to schedule events and Saturday worship for adults AND Children is off to a good start (we had 7 kids last Saturday).

God loves us.  And though my cat may not care, I still like it when a plan comes together.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment