Sunday, January 5, 2014

Holy Freezing Nose Hairs, Batman!!!

Hello Emmanuel,

You know it is cold when your nose hairs freeze.

Okay…. Probably not the way to start your Monday, but you’ll agree that it is nasty cold outside!  This only magnifies the ongoing issue that goes on in our house.  We have a teenage boy who doesn’t define cold as Mom defines cold.  As a result, the choice of apparel as he leaves the house constantly ends up in a conversation similar to the following:

Mom:  where is your coat??!?!
Teenage Boy:  I don’t need a coat.
Mom:  It is COLD outside.  Get a coat on!
Teenage Boy:  But it’s not cold!
Mom:  I don’t care.  Get a coat on… and a hat while you’re at it…. And where are your gloves???
Teenage Boy:  (suppresses eye roll and decides that silent obedience is the better part of valor)

Consistent with my attempt at wisdom, I avoid getting involved (mostly because my definition of ‘cold’ varies also).  I also have memories of running across the street to school in jeans and a t-shirt regardless of the weather.  My justification involved the fact that I could get from my front door to the school’s front door in about 8 seconds if I ran.  Why would I waste time with a coat?  Exactly.

So what about you?  What about your definition of ‘cold’.  Our definitions vary, not just from a physical aspect, but also from a spiritual aspect.  For some, getting a taste of ‘church’ and hearing a message twice a year is good enough, thank you very much.  On the other hand, there are those who are ridden with self-inflicted guilt if they miss a Sunday for any reason.  Most of us are somewhere in between.  How do you measure your needs when you discern the temperature of your spiritual self?  Ah!  Maybe that is the wrong question.

God wants you to be engaged with Him.  Maybe it isn’t a question of how much you need.  Maybe it’s a question of how much God wants from you.  2014 can be a year when you stop looking at yourself and start looking to God.  If you believe that God won’t ask any more than you can give, then why fear pursuing the desires of God for your life?  The reality is that God will likely bless you more than you could ever bless yourself.

Now to be clear, this isn’t really about church either.  To be intimately engaged with God can be made possible by being involved with a healthy church.  However, your relationship with God goes beyond church.  It speaks to a personal relationship that the church can help foster.  How much does God want from you?

I challenge you to use 2014 as a year to gauge the difference between what you think you need and what God desires for you.  It may not be easy.  It may even be painful.  In my experience, there is an angst involved with listening to God’s voice.  You don’t know where He may lead you.  In my experience, there are also blessings involved.  I am glad to be His follower.  I hope you are too.

May your spirit stay warm in 2014

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment