Monday, February 3, 2014

Omelets, Burritos, Stir Fry and Pasta!!!

Hello Emmanuel,

It’s much easier to see God working around you when you have good balance.

Kim and I are back from our cruise.  You know what that means, right?  Yep… time to lose weight.  If there was ever a time to preach on gluttony as one of the 7 deadly sins, it is on a cruise ship.  I could go into detail (like describing the omelet bar, stir fry bar, burrito bar, pasta bar and the bar bar).  Let’s just say at no point during the 7 days (not to be confused with the 7 deadly sins) that I was never really truly hungry.

So it is time for my daily regimen of the get-back-in-relative-shape routines.  This involves walking a mile or biking 10 miles; a minimal amount of push-ups; and not eating after supper.  As much as it irritates my wife, it is an automatic loss of 10 pounds.  It isn’t difficult.  It just takes a small amount of self-discipline…. Which brings me to the topic for this week’s MMP.

Do you have balance in your life?  It’s much easier to see God working around you when you have good balance.

I find that when I have self-discipline, it brings balance to my life.  In a typical person’s life there is work, play, family time and self-care (yes, this is an over simplification, but just go with it, okay?).  When I have no self-discipline, I find that I work more than I should or I play more than I should or I don’t take care of myself like I should.  My life gets out of balance and that can cause me to get grumpy (much to the demise of those who live with me).

For example, those who work too much sacrifice other aspects of life.  It is no different for clergy.  In fact, the West Ohio Conference tells us annually how clergy are at or on the bottom of the list of professionals in terms of self-care because clergy tend to spend too much time caring for others (or they go on too many cruises).  As a result, the average life-expectancy among professions for clergy is 2nd worst to that of a firefighter.  Weird?  I thought so too.

But God wants you to live well.  God wants you to be balanced.  He has blessed you with more than a few aspects of life.  However, each aspect leans on other aspects to create a balance.  Balance opens a bigger window where you can look out and see God working around you.  Are you balanced?

If not, can you bring yourself to get in balance?  No one else can do it for you.  It might take some self-discipline.  Consider how it is with your relationships.  That will sometimes tell you if you are out of balance.  Are your kids hungry for more of your attention?  Maybe it is time for family game night.  Is your job performance suffering?  Maybe it is time to focus more on your work.  Are you unhealthy or feel bad about yourself?  Maybe it is time for better self-care.

As for me?  It’s time to go exercise.  I’m in the worst shape of my life… quite literally.  I hope you find balance in your life.  It’s much easier to see God working around you when you have good balance.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment