Monday, April 28, 2014

The Think Box

Hello Emmanuel,

Well that was different, but very cool.  Yesterday Emmanuel had the first annual Blessing of the Bikes.  It was a time to pray for bikers and their safe travel through the summer.  We had a motorcycle in the sanctuary and I even got to wear some leather.  Emmanuel also got to meet some new people and get a glimpse into a hobby or even a lifestyle that many of us (including me) have had no experience with.  I look forward to next year and finding ways to make it bigger and better.

We must never be afraid to try something different as long as it fits with the Discipleship Pathway (i.e. Circle Chart).  I am impressed with Emmanuel’s willingness to think outside the box, but we must continue to encourage it.  There are infinite number of ways to try something different and as the community changes around us (and those of you who have been around know the community has changed fast in 10-15 years), we need to be diligent to recognize what those attention-grabbing ministries could be. 

If you have an idea that you think can be attention-grabbing to the community, let me know.  Many of you don’t realize it, but I have a Think Box that I keep crazy ideas in.  The Think Box is a 3x3x3 inch box that I keep on my desk.  It’s purple, green, red, orange and blue.  It opens from any side and can hold any idea for as long as needed.  So don’t be afraid to give me your crazy ideas…

… oh… and did I tell you that the Think Box is invisible to everyone but me?  That means that you need to tell me the idea so I can put it in the box.

A church that doesn’t have a Think Box is a church constantly in danger of becoming stagnant, boring and non-relevant.  Sometimes it takes years for it to happen, but it can happen.  So let’s be on our toes and keep the creative juices flowing. 

TOPIC CHANGE                 

I want to throw out some prayer requests that probably hit closer to my home than yours.  Churches in our area are going through pastoral changes.  Those pastors are moving and need our prayers as they start a new segment in their lives.  Faith UMC, Mount Moriah UMC, Owensville UMC and Goshen UMC are all going through pastoral transitions.  This can be a very nervous time for churches and pastors.  Owensville hasn’t had a change in 15 years and Pastor Dave Phaneuf has been at Faith for 8 years.  So prayers for everyone. 

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment