Monday, August 10, 2015

Land Lines, Jelly and Herbert Hoover

Hello Emmanuel,

I googled ‘43’ this morning and found out more than I ever wanted to know.  I won’t bore you with the details, but there is a movie; a U.S. Code about Public Lands;  prime number information for all you math geeks; a Spanish liqueur made from secret recipe; a metro route to downtown Seattle; and some sort of Biblical number formula that leads to ‘exceeding great joy’. 

So I was going to write about how turning 43 years old is a boring day.  I was wrong.  I have so much in common with the world, clearly.  It started with inconveniencing my mother by deciding to enter the world 43 years ago.  I don’t remember the event, but I’m sure I inconvenienced her, which started a long journey of inconveniencing her.  Maybe that is why she called me on my land line this morning at 7:00 AM.  She didn’t even say a whole lot.  I think just making my phone ring was a ‘happy birthday’ enough.  It wasn’t enough.  The village decided to run the wood chipper across the street.  !@#$%^&

Once awake, I heard someone scrounging around in the kitchen.  No one is in the kitchen at 7:00 AM on a summer morning.  I went downstairs to find scrambled eggs, toast (with a thick layer of jelly) and a banana…. with 2 kids smiling weakly at me as if it say, ‘happybirthdayhurryupandeatsowecangobacktobed’.  They must love me.

I share a birthday with Herbert Hoover, my Son-In-Law and my wife’s cousin’s wife.  I’m not sure what that means, but I thought I’d throw it in here just because.

Truth is, it’s a reminder of another year of blessings; another year of some happy days; some grumpy days; and many days when I’m just content with a very unique life.  I’m going to spend the day doing what I like to do.  Among them is writing this MMP and helping the church go around in a circle (and maybe a Marion’s pizza).

Thanks for all the ‘Happy Birthdays’.  And when yours comes around, I hope you are just as content.  You certainly are just as unique.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment