Monday, November 12, 2018

I Am Ineffective

Hello Church...

Nervous yet?  I am. 

I hear people thinking about where we are going with all this 'low-task/fellowship' stuff.  What do you mean about being 'still' and 'quiet' during Advent and Christmas?  Has leadership lost their minds?  No.  There is a plan.  Here is some insight......

Contrary to popular opinion, stagnation and status quo is not a requirement for the Church.  Unfortunately, many United Methodist Churches never got the memo.  The comfort of doing the same things in the same way is far too much of a temptation even when faced with a lack of results and failure to follow the commandments of Christ..... like... you know... 'making disciples'.

I learned many years ago that reinventing myself as a pastor would eventually be needed.  That, after a time, a pastor's rhetoric, habits, biases, stories, etc; would become tiresome and ineffective.  People would begin yawning at my dry sarcasm and become annoyed with my psychological ploys.  My humor would be rewarded with the sound of crickets.  My words of encouragement and inspiration would create numbness.  I was told that I, too, would fall prey to the temptation of doing the same things the same way.

Historically, I have never had to reinvent my role.  My first 2 appointments were 6.5 years and 6.5 years.  I asked for a move after my 1st and the Conference asked me to come to Emmanuel after the 2nd.  I was not at either appointment long enough to become what I considered 'ineffective'. 

But this appointment is different.  9 years have brought me and us to a place to work on our ineffectiveness.  So how do we do this?

First, we become honest with ourselves and God and admit our ineffectiveness.  This is also referred to as 'confession'.  I'm done rehashing the reasons for this, but the honest truth is that we are not growing and, in fact, are declining.

Second, we turn to God and not to each other.  We implore God to forgive and renew us; give us insight and wisdom; bring a new energy to us; give us Vision; a dream; something to strive for.  This means to 'be still and know God'.  It means to squelch your busy body, turn on your ears and pray.  This is what the Leadership Team calling us to do now.

Third, we put our heads and hearts together and become unified in a common divine Vision.  We talk about the hard stuff, gain a Holy Stubbornness, and create a strategic plan (January is coming).

Fourth, we put our noses to the grindstone and get our bodies busy again.  This time to be better focused and less distracted.  (Easter is going to be wonderful!  There WILL be resurrection.  God says so).

So there you have it.  The next Leadership Team meeting is Nov. 19th at 6:30.  You are invited.  The time is quickly coming to get involved if you want to be part of a new birth in the Spirit.  I have no idea what it will look like. 

Nervous yet?  I am nervous... but also excited.....

Because God is Good,
Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment