Monday, April 8, 2019

This Bad Habit Is Contagious

Hello Church,

As we move forward into a new thing, my thoughts turn to team work.

The last couple of years we have learned a bad habit.  This bad habit was started by me.  In the midst of my burnout I stopped putting energy into enlisting support and help in doing tasks.  This is because it take more energy for me to get people to 'do' than it does for me to do it myself.  So in many cases I became a 'lone ranger' and ran around doing.  In the process, I got more burned out because I was always doing and many times I had no help because I didn't seek it out.

This bad habit was picked up by the church.  Lone Rangers going around trying to 'hold down the fort'.  Frustration spread.....

... but now it is time for a new thing....  here are my new rules for pastoring the church....

Rule #1 - Form a team to make ministry happen, complete with vision, purpose and good leadership
Rule #2 - If the team agrees to do it, you do it.
Rule #3 - If the team doesn't agree to do it, you don't do it.
Rule #4 - If you don't have an effective team, but want something done, see rule #1

As a result of these new rules, I had to make new personal rules.  This was my wake-up call and part of what I learned during my leave.  Here they are:

Rule #1 - I will take ownership of my actions or in-actions.
Rule #2 - I will not take ownership of other people's actions or in-actions.
Rule #3 - If I make a mistake, I will do what I can to correct it.  See rule #1.
Rule #4 - If someone else makes a mistake, I will not let it ruin my day.  See rule #2.

As we move into a new church approach to ministry, I am promising not to repeat the same mistakes.  This means better teamwork and no lone ranger work.  I will encourage the same in you. 

In this way, the church becomes the church; the pastor stays the pastor; and God works through all of us in His special way.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment