Monday, May 13, 2019

Looking Forward To Tomorrow

Hello Church,

It's refreshing to be productive.

Since re-inventing myself, re-prioritizing how I spend my time, and setting new goals for myself, I have found a new lease on my days.  I feel a general sense of overall productivity and purpose.  I once again feel I have a place in God's plans for the day, though I usually don't know how.  Life is good. 

How did I get here?

If you are like I was, you might feel frustrated or discouraged about your day, generally speaking.  You are tired and have moments of 'blah'.  While I have shared much of my journey over the past year, there is something I haven't mentioned.... and this might help you.

Choose who you spend your time with.

In my vocation there can be a lot of negative.  Conversations are had on a regular basis that involve the bad, sad, frustrating, conflicting, grief-stricken, uncertainty and grumpy.  Sometimes it can't be avoided.  Part of my job is to help people move through their down times.  I actually like doing that.  Again... a sense of purpose.

But in order to maintain a sense of balance and overall perspective, when it is possible, I stay away from the negative.  God wants us to have joy.  Some people don't have joy.  So unless it is my Call to help someone through yucky times (i.e.  to be someone's pastor), I stay away.  It does me no good to constantly subject myself to how terrible someone thinks this world is.... be it the news, Facebook, my neighbor or some random person who just wants to complain.  I don't need it, don't want it and I have learned it puts me in a bad place. 

So I am always ready to be someone's Pastor.  I am not always willing to participate in the banter of negativity.  God wants you to have joy.  I want you to have joy.  I want me to have joy.  I will help you get to that place, but if you don't want to have joy, your behavior will tell me (and everyone else around you).  And if your behavior leads me to conclude that you are just want to live in the dark places and are too stubborn to move, I will go somewhere else until you are ready to meet Jesus again... and walk in His way.  Then we can pursue joy again.

It is in this way that I can always look forward to tomorrow.  When I can choose to do so, I will spend time with those who are determined to be joyful in the midst of God's grace... even if they fail to do so from time to time.

Choose who you spend time with... choose the spiritually alive, vital, love-seeking soul that oozes joy, contentment and peace.  These things are contagious too.  Take advantage of it.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe


No comments:

Post a Comment