Monday, November 11, 2019

I Have A New Friend!

Hello Church,

I can't help but reflect on Sunday morning's worship experience.  For me, it was one of the most rewarding services of the year.  We heard the direct results of showing Christ's unconditional love, a very pure consequence of trying to be a pure and simple church.

Erin--someone who is not part of Emmanuel--shared in a most heartfelt way how Emmanuel is showing genuine love (specifically, to the staff of an entire elementary school).  Mary Lou--who IS part of Emmanuel--shared how she made a new friend by showing unconditional love.  Both talks were clearly authentic and sincere.  And, additionally, the staff of Holly Hill sent a great-big 'thank you' which is displayed in the lobby.

I was so glad to be a part of Emmanuel.

So often we get caught up in 'churchy' issues.  In-house politics; numerical statistics; public perceptions; personal agendas... go ahead and add to the list....  These are all present in every church.  There is no way around it.  We are human.  We get distracted. 

But for an hour in worship at Emmanuel yesterday I felt like I was part of a church that Christ hopes for.  During Erin's and Mary Lou's talk, I felt like we were as close to a church in the purest sense as we could get.  Showing and receiving and feeling love for no other reason than that God loves us.

Being a church doesn't have to be complicated.

So I will keep this blog simple.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment