Monday, April 27, 2020

The Simple Things In Life

Hello Church,

I've never been so happy to go to Target.

It's the sad commentary for these days.  Back when the world was normal, Kim would make a passing comment about having to go to Target or Wal-mart or Kroger or Jungle Jims or Burlington Coat Factory or...... you get the idea.

And back when the world was normal I would think to myself, 'you go have fun with that.'  (Actually, I might say it out loud).  The idea of perusing the aisles at a random store filled me with exhaustion and boredom.  When I walk into a store I hunt for a specific item.   I don't meander through looking at this and that with little intentions of buying anything... anyhow....

The world isn't normal right now.  Kim needs to go to Target.  I admit that I am going with her.  In some ways I feel like that dog who gets excited to get in the car and go anywhere.  I may even stick my head out the window on the way there.

These days have brought me back to the trivial things that are preferable to doing nothing.  Putting a puzzle together and taking daily walks are two other things that I have invested in these days. 

So what good is it?

We often look for God in the big, gigantic, exploding, lightning bolt moments of life.  The birth of a child; finding a soul-mate; hearing an answer to long, sought-after prayer; or realizing the purpose of our life.

But in my daily walks I am reminded of the little miracles of the season.  My tree out front is about ready to drop a million seeds.  Spending so much time helping Kim with a puzzle is actually a little satisfactory.  And going to Target reminds me I am blessed with the opportunity every day to buy whatever I need and a lot of what I want at any time with only a few minutes worth of drive-time.

These days give us the chance to see the little blessings in life and the little miracles.  Go ahead.  Stick your head out the window and revisit something trivial.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe 


No comments:

Post a Comment