Monday, September 14, 2020

When Holy Communion Doesn't Taste Yucky

 Hello Church,

Sunday we had Holy Communion.  Because of Covid issues, it was with the sealed little cup with the sealed little 'wafer'.  For those of you who know what I'm talking about, it amounts to 3 drops of juice and a piece of plastic that is supposed to be chewed.  It can be a bit yucky.  I miss the Hawaiian bread.  (enter sad face here).

Certainly the Holy Sacraments have meaning for me.  Holy communion and my baptism have always been an opportunity to express what was and is already in my heart.  I have many memories of taking communion in many different ways.  However, there is a common denominator in each of those memories:  community.

I can remember taking communion beside by grandpa, grandma, Sunday School teachers, and little old ladies that always smiled at me.  I remember standing beside students at United Theological Seminary; ordinands at Annual Conference; and full-time Elders at Clergy Sessions.  And, of course, the rows of people who would approach me over the past 24 years, to take the bread and the cup, one after another, to express what is in their hearts.  

What I don't always remember is what kind of bread or juice was used.  I do remember the best kind of bread (Hawaiian).  And I do remember the juice that didn't quite look grape enough.  Typically, however, it wasn't the bread and juice that gave significance to each event.  It was the community around me that reminded my that my Faith is bigger than just me.  

And, for me, that is God's blessing behind the Sacraments.  That is also why Communion never really is all that yucky.



No comments:

Post a Comment