Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Looking At Me Sideways

 Hello Church,

Yes, I am late in posting this blog.  Having a day of the week included in the blog's title sort of puts me on a stricter schedule.  However, I have a good excuse:  24 years of marriage.

In 24 years we have raised 5 kids.  The last is leaving the nest this Fall.  Hope has been accepted to OSU.  This means we will be empty nesters.  I'm excited.  Kim?  Not so much.  However, it all makes sense.  I married Kim with a built-in family.  Leah was 7, Andy 4 and Clay 2 when we got together.  As a 23 year-old who was a full-time student and a part-time pastor, more than a few looked at me sideways when they saw what I was getting into.  Even now I get comments.  Joey, who recently turned 22, was hit with an epiphany when he realized that he is nearly as old as I was when I committed to a wife and 3 kids.

But God works in mysterious ways.  I wouldn't have it any different.  I was too young and dumb to know any different anyhow.  It all seemed natural and normal to me.  It worked.  We lived through the millions of soccer, basketball and baseball games, mixed in with karate, scouts and social drama.  

The thing is, I never ever regretted any of it.  I questioned my sanity at times and questioned the sanity of my family a lot.  But I can honestly say it was pretty much all good.  Any difficulties along the way was par for the course for any family of 7.

So I am thankful for my 24 years.  I invite you to think about what you are thankful for when it comes to the family you find yourself a part of.  I know it isn't all rosy, but you didn't expect it to be, right?  

So give thanks.  In another 24 years I might rewrite this blog, but I doubt my attitude about it will be much different.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment