Monday, March 15, 2021

Teaching About Grass Fires

 Hello Church,

We are about to be grandparents for the second time.  Our oldest, Leah, will be delivering another baby girl in about a week.  We are all excited, of course.  Maebree, our 4 year-old granddaughter is also excited....   

or is she???

I was two-and-a-half and the first grandchild.  While I don't specifically remember it, I have no doubts that the world revolved around me.  My mom is the 2nd oldest of 7 and her youngest sibling was still in high school.  Everyone wanted time with little Joe.  I was center stage.

... and then my world turned pink...

Mary Ann was born.  She was a cute little girl.  Everyone wanted to see the cute little girl... bluk!  Even Mom spent less time seeing to my demands.  For the next many years I would learn that my first 2+ years of life would be my best.  I would have to share the rest of my years with my siblings.  3 more brothers would show up eventually.  bluk!

In the many years that followed I also learned that being the first grandchild has more curses.  You have no one from whom to learn.  Growing up is a trial-on-error.  As I've told my younger children, 'watch your older siblings and learn the easy way'.  I didn't get that chance.

What is the point of this blog?  Just when you think life is getting good, your world could turn pink.  Though the selfish part of you might want it to stay the way you want it, the journey of life is about adjusting to change however you can best manage it.  Maybe you don't manage all that well?  Join the club.  

But don't let your selfish ways get in the way of seeing unexpected blessings.  I got to grow up with siblings around me.  We had lots of fun times and created plenty of stories to share when we get old.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  And I'm sure that through my trial-on-error journey, I was able to help them learn the easy way..... like how to not start a grass fire or why you shouldn't throw peanut butter on Mom's newly painted living room wall.

Maebree's world is about to change.... most days it will be for the better.  For her mom and dad?  We'll see.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Kim and you and your daughter and her husband. Don't forget to have a present ready for Maebree when the baby is born so you include her in on the blessing fro God!

    ReplyDelete