Monday, June 24, 2013

One More Week

Hello Emmanuel,

As mentioned in recent MMP’s, I will be going on sabbatical (July 1st-August 11th) to rest and be renewed.  I will also be visiting other churches to see what I can learn from them and apply to us as we continue to grow at Emmanuel.

Many have asked me where I’ll be going.  For those interested in my itinerary, keep reading.  If not, skip to the end:

Delaware – 1 week – I will be visiting with 2 different churches and pastors.  One is called The Connection, a United Methodist Church that started from 0 and grew to over 700.  The 2 lead pastors are a married couple.  Sound intriguing to me.  I will also be visiting with a pastor who led a church from 50 to 600 worshippers.  I went to seminary with him many years ago.  It will be good to catch up with him.  The rest of the time I’ll likely be on sand or in water.  Sounds horrible, I know.

L.A./San Diego – 1 week – There is nothing churchy about this week.  I am going West with my brother to watch the Reds.  A religious experience?  Yes… but only if you think baseball was created by God.

Columbus, Georgia – 4 days – My kids get to see their cousins twice a year.  This is one of those times.  I may go golfing.  There is nothing religious about golfing.  If anything, it will test my perseverance and my temper.  I may stop in to see St. Luke United Methodist Church for confessional.

Home – 2.5 weeks – Yes, I will be home at times.  Kim and I will have 2 Sundays to visit other churches to renew our minds about ministry.  We don’t know which we will visit, but it will likely include a Saturday worship experience.  I also hope to talk with Rev. Doug Johns (who will be preaching July 7th) about his experience at Church of the Savior in Montgomery.

Other possibilities include a bicycle trip with Joey to Columbus, Ohio and/or a drive to Chicago.  Given the established itinerary, we may just not have time.  I will also be reading a book called Start This, Stop That by Jim and Jennifer Cowart.  It looks like an easy read about what to do and what not to do in a growing church.

I know that some of you will wonder what to expect from me when I get back.  I wish I could tell you.  I expect to have new ideas, but whether they will be ground-breaking or earth-shattering will remain to be seen.  I will say that, in terms of disciple-making, Emmanuel has a big hump in front of it.  We need to figure out how to get over it while we still have the momentum.  It won’t be easy for us.  It will be easy for God if we can just listen and do.

I want to thank Emmanuel’s leadership for allowing me this opportunity for a sabbatical.  It has the potential to be an enlightening time.  My wife does not know me apart from being ‘Pastor Joe’ and I have always had to balance ‘Pastor’ with ‘Dad’.  To have 6 weeks to do otherwise will be interesting. 

I will be ‘off the grid’ during the 6 weeks.  If any emergencies come up, please contact:

Vicki Hensley (Lay Leader) – sewblessed@fuse.net – 732-6641
Bill Maskiell – (SPRC Leader) – wmaskiell@cinci.rr.com – 752-7838
Shawn Young – (Director of Connectivity) – shawn.young@emmanuel-umc.com – 937-725-3339

Or you can call the church at 732-1400.  Lori, the administrator assistant, will be in the office to return your call.  Or you can email lori at lori.upham@emmanuel-umc.com

See you this Sunday as we spend one more time considering renewal….  If I don’t see you then, I’ll see you in August.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment