Monday, May 19, 2014

I'm Surviving and Thriving!

Hello Emmanuel,

I survived yesterday.  As part of Emmanuel’s Mother’s Day gift, a group of men of the church (and Rachel) offered to take care of kids so that moms could have a couple hours to themselves (or with their friends).  We had 10 different families leave their kids with us.  Fortunately there was plenty of help.  The gift of time was a success. 

I was also reminded how valuable it is to have so many servants in the church.  While I did help with lunch, I was also able to take time to connect with a new person of the church.  We had very good conversation and I hope I was able to help her make a connection with Emmanuel.

I was also approached by a couple that came into the building looking for financial help.  I was freed up enough to help them in a responsible way (i.e. the sermon on May 11th). 

The Pastor can wear many hats, but only so many at one time.  I feel very blessed to have so many servants in the church that it can allow me the freedom to take care of immediate needs when they arise.  I was just mentioning to Shawn Young last week how I can look back and see how my focus as a pastor has shifted over the 5 years.  Once upon a time I was immersed in establishing a long-term vision; then getting a Hospitality Team off the ground; then helping a Sunday School program deal with fast growth; then expanding a Small Group ministry; then managing changing worship issues; then helping with Trustees; then dealing with paid staff issues; then… well… it’s neat for me to see the journey.  This year I’m focusing on the Outreach Team.  If your turn hasn’t come up yet, I’m sure it will.  Why?  Because the many servants of Emmanuel give me the freedom to wear whatever hat I need to wear in order to help the church as much as possible.

Certainly there are hats that I will always wear:  preaching, teaching, visiting and offering the sacraments are obvious ones.  However, it feels good to do what I feel like I’m called to do.  Watching God move me from one topic to the next without me getting so overwhelmed with hats that I get too weighed down is refreshing.

How do you view your journey?  Do you have people in your life that help you do what you feel like you are called to do?  If not, why not?  My door is open.  I have time to talk.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe


No comments:

Post a Comment