Monday, January 12, 2015

Avoid Cheating

Hello Emmanuel,

A new sermon series is starting:  The Ultimate Life.  As part of this series, the challenge is to give thanks for 10 things each day.  That is 10 things days each day for 6 weeks…. 420 things (mine will be on facebook each morning).

So when will I get stuck?  When will I have to think really, really hard for things to be thankful for?  I’m sure I’ll have mornings when I don’t feel like being thankful.  How will I deal with that? 

Truth is that I will still plow through it.  Know why?  Because I told everyone I’m posting it each day.  Facebook has become my accountability partner.  And if I don’t post on one particular day, any one of the hundreds of friends I have will message me.  I don’t want that.  Therefore, the exercise will be a consistent one.

Who is your accountability partner?  Don’t have one?  Get one.  It’s easy to be sneaky and cheat when no one is looking.  It is difficult when someone you trust is watching what you are doing.  Having a person in your life who loves you and wants the best for you is a great asset.  That person will keep you moving straight ahead into the good and right things.  Corners cannot be cut as easy and you can grow as a person more effectively. 

I’ve had many accountability partners throughout my life:  Mom, pastors, teammates, my wife, small groups, classmates and even my kids.  True, being a pastor raises my visibility a bit.  However, believe it or not, pastors have been known to cut corners too if they aren’t held accountable.

So here is to friendship.  Find it.  Cherish it.  Use it to become a better disciple of Jesus.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment