Monday, January 19, 2015

Dance and Sing

Hello Emmanuel,

As some of you know me, you know my passion for sports and competition.  I’d much rather kick your butt in ping-pong than to attend an orchestra concert.  Competition is therapeutic for me.  It isn’t for everyone, however.  No one in my immediate family relates to me in this area.  They think I’m a crazy guy when I yell at the tv screen (‘no one on that football team can hear you Dad’).  At the same time, I’m a pastor.  I have found that being a competitor doesn’t work in the realm of leading a church.  So I do have to find other outlets of expression…

Yesterday I had the privilege of driving to Hillsboro to watch Joey play in the Land of Grant Honors Band.  It is a band made up of students from 3 different counties.  It was good music and very talented kids.

Something one of the directors said to us really struck me.  He invited us to fight to keep music programs in schools.  He said music is what makes us human.

I chewed on that for a while.  I do have a passion for the Liberal Arts programs.  Music, art, drama, etc; needs to stay in schools and yet there seems to be a tolerance, to some degree, to let them be the first to go away when money gets tight.

One of the unique qualities that make us human is the creativity in which we can express ourselves.  Music and religion are two of those areas.  It occurred to me that such modes of expression allow the passion of the church to be made known.  If we translate that reality to schools and young people, what happens if modes of expression is taken from them?  I haven’t searched for any empirical data, but I imagine that if we don’t teach and encourage our kids to express themselves, it can’t result in anything positive.

I don’t think God wants us to raise robots.  Certainly, the push to improve our math and sciences is important.  We don’t want to fall behind the rest of the world in these areas.  However, God has given us a unique spirit that desires creativity and expression:  music, art, drama, literature and dance are all ways that we can let loose our spirit and shout in constructive ways how we feel.  It is more than just ‘playtime’.  It is therapeutic.  It is good for the soul.

I’ve never been one to throw myself into music.  Yes, I can play and I can sing, but it has never been my mode of expression necessarily.  When it comes to the arts, creative writing is really my area (I write a sermon every week to convince you of something).  Regardless, the church (and schools) can be and should be a place that encourages the spirit to express itself. 

I thank God for giving us the opportunity for expression.  Let’s encourage it in one another.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment