Monday, June 1, 2015

Extravagant Generosity

Hello Emmanuel,

I’m not going to lie.  I’m excited about giving.

Over the years I’ve done a few of these blogs on money.  Not many.  Contrary to popular opinion, it isn’t a favorite topic for pastors or churches.  There are many preconceived notions out there that the church is some sort of money-making machine (and in some places deservedly so, I’m sad to admit).  But at Emmanuel we are a disciple-making machine which really gets at the truth as to why I’m so excited.

Our goal for the Building Hope Fund is $110,000 over the next 3 years.  After 2 Sundays of talking and teaching and preaching and praying about it, we are at $106,792.  This is astounding to me.  You would think that, at some point, I would stop being surprised.

One of the core values at Emmanuel is extravagant generosity.  I’m ok with admitting that this core value doesn’t have much to do with me.  The other 3 core values I brought with me 6 years ago and have strongly encouraged us to practice throughout our ministries (authenticity, relevance and excellence).  These 3 I have deeply ingrained within me and we have made it the DNA of Emmanuel. 

Extravagant generosity is a value that I didn’t bring with any passion.  It is a value that Emmanuel taught me, showed me and encouraged in me.  The church teaches the pastor more than many think.  This is assuming the pastor is open to being taught.  I try to be, though ego sometimes gets in the way. 

So I’m not going to lie.  I’m excited about giving.  I truly feel a part of something bigger than myself.  There is a spiritual component to giving.  It is one of a few acts (praying, serving, witnessing, worshiping) that help one feel a part of the Community of Believers.  And it isn’t about how much one gives as much as it is just being a giver. 

And Sunday School is getting on board with it as well.  The Sunday Schools are going to continue teaching and encouraging the spiritual act of giving.  The children are going to be asked to bring in their loose change and begin specifically supporting one area of Emmaneul’s ministries:  Mission Trips.  And there will be presentations given to the children about what we do, where we go and how God is involved in communities beyond our walls. 

So I’m excited about giving and hope you are too.  I hope you can see and feel the Holy Spirit work at Emmanuel as we get the right resources (people, time, money, prayers) in the right places to do the right things so that more and more people can meet and follow the Christ.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment