Monday, March 7, 2016

Too Much Cemetery

Hello Emmanuel,

Before I forget to type this:  March 20th will have only one worship service:  10:00.  There will be water flying, banners waving and people committing to Jesus.  Car pool if you can.  Extra parking will be at the airport with a shuttle going back and forth.  You don’t want to miss it!

I’m seeing more and more of the cemetery.  When we first moved to Batavia 7 years ago, there was a small, but heavily wooded area directly across the street from us.  We would also see wildlife, even the occasional deer roaming around, wary of us humans.  However, last Summer things began to change.  Men started the noisy act of clearing out that wooded area.  Slowly and surely the trees have been removed.  The larger trees still stand, but it is now clear what is on the other side:  a cemetery.

I’m not exactly thrilled to wake up every morning, look out my front window and see tombstones.  I get reminded often enough of my own mortality just in my every day grind of leading a church.  And while I even enjoy the stillness (no pun intended) of a cemetery, there is such a thing as too much quiet (again, no attempt to be funny). 

So this Easter will be different for me.  On March 27th, I will leave the morbid ground of my home and make my way to a life-filled church.  How appropriate! 

Do you have too much cemetery in your day?  Are you looking forward to March 27th?  For me, death might be right across the street, but life is right around the corner.

God is Good,


Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment