Monday, May 16, 2016

The Privilege of Being Your Pastor

Hello Emmanuel,

As I walk with you in a faith-filled journey, I have the unique perspective of watching your stories unfold, even when few others see what is happening.  I see it as an honor and am humbled by it.  I also don’t take for granted the trust that is involved in allowing me the privilege of walking with you. 

I get to see your joys.  One of the little rewards of my Call is to see your authentic smiles when they appear.  The birth of a child; a baptism; a graduation; a bill of good health; a thank-you—these are moments that fuel me and help me have a glad day.  Some of you are having good days right now.  Cherish them.  I believe God sends them to us for reasons beyond just the reasons themselves.  He helps us build momentum to get over the next mountain.  Take full advantage.

I also get to see your sadness.  The story of Emmanuel is never one-sided.  I know many of the struggles some of you are having on this very day.  At times it even goes beyond sadness to angst…. Or a sort of a deep heartache that seemingly no one can fix.  Perhaps worse are those moments that could be fixed, but perhaps will not be.  I pray for you today.

I also see your anger, comfort, frustration, relief, hope, embarrassment and love.  I know I don’t see it all, but I am still honored when you trust me and let me be a part of your faith journey.  And while I, too, have my various events in life, I am content to continue walking with you.  For me, that is the essence of community for which we were all made. 

So whether you are happy or sad today, consider the big picture and now that you are loved.  No single event in a person’s day defines them, even if it feels like it at the time.  What defines us is how we walk our journey and with whom we walk.  Over the course of time, that is how we are defined.

May God walk with you.

God is Good,


Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment