Monday, September 9, 2019

The Hot Seat and My Evaluation

Hello Church,

My annual evaluation was last night.  It was a warm room in more ways than one.  And while I'm not a fan of long meetings, this one was quite productive from my standpoint.  We talked about a lot of issues and the Resource Team and I seem to be very much on the same page.

Among the issues was how I communicate my availability to you.  I want you to know that I try very hard to be available to you as much as possible while also paying attention to my personal boundaries of health and family.  There is a balance the we should all strive for between work and family and, in my particular vocation, there are unique challenges in this area.

I am glad to be your pastor.  As such, I want to remind you how available I am to be your pastor.

A popular phrase I have heard over the years is, 'I thought about calling you, but you are so busy'.  This is somewhat ironic because when I am busy, it is busy meeting with people like you, who want to talk to me (what do you think the pastor does through the week?).  When I am not busy, it is because people don't connect with me because they think I am so busy.  It's an odd dynamic, but one that I sometimes find humorous.

I feel like I am privileged to offer my listening ear.  I am not a clinical counselor, but do have a Social Work background.  I don't charge $80/hr (in fact, it's free!).  I can give you objective advice; share spiritual and biblical information; and can converse about a broad range of topics (marriage, finances, grief, life/death issues, family drama, job concerns, theological/moral/ethical dilemmas, divine Call, and of course church stuff... etc).  I don't always have the answer, but sometimes I do.  Sometimes you don't even necessarily want the answer, you just want someone with whom to converse with in a fair manner.

In addition, I am willing to meet anywhere.  I have the reputation of meeting over lunches at Panera or the Amelia Kroger, but anywhere that has free wifi is a place I might be.  In addition, I am always willing to meet at the church and in my office.  Sometimes discussions should happen more privately.

All you need to do is contact me (at least until I develop mind-reading skills... something my wife says I still lack).  I am 100% accessible.  I have a phone/text (513-463-7378), email (pastorjoe@emmanuel-umc.com), facebook, and an address (395 Woodside Dr, Batavia, 45103).  I even have Snapchat so that my kids think I am cool. 

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.... 9:00 A.M - 9:00 P.M. (Wednesdays and Fridays are days off for me)... I am available to schedule a time with you to discuss any pastoral need that you have.  And if I am busy, it is because people like you want to talk with me. 

I am glad to be your pastor.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe






No comments:

Post a Comment