Monday, February 24, 2020

The Joy Of Scratching Backs

Hello Church,

Creativity has never been a strength of mine.  In most circumstances I am okay with that.  Artistic avenues such as painting, drawing, sculpting, etc; are hobbies that I don't strive for in any case.  I am impressed with my stick figures easily enough.

Writing is just about the only artistic area in which I feel I am adequate.  I also have some musical talent, but that is an area I am not so passionate about (as opposed to the rest of my family).  But writing hits the spot for me.

One lacking area that does bother me a lot is in the area of new ministry ideas.  I recognize the need to think outside the box, especially these days.  Churches that find new ways to say the same old message tend to thrive and attract new people, young and old.  I, however, often feel stuck in the box.  I never feel like I have an innovative enough mind to create new excitement on a new idea.

Case in point, our light bulb ministry.  Long story, short:  one of our ministry teams came up with the idea of replacing the burned-out bulbs in the sanctuary with new bulbs.  To help supplement the cost of these bulbs, an idea was hatched to allow individuals to write messages on the base of the bulbs... messages that would be read by the intended receiver whenever the new bulb burns out... hopefully 10-15 years from now (at least that is what the package says).

This unique, creative idea that has worked wasn't mine.  I promised I wouldn't embarrass the person who came up with the idea.  Suffice it to say, I admit a little jealousy.  Why can't I come up with good ideas?

Someone once told me--several times-- that I can't be good or gifted for everything.  Also, humility is good for the human spirit.  Another lesson is this:  leaning on the church to fill your voids can be a fulfilling experience.  I took the light bulb idea and presented it to the congregation through the writing and preaching I do on Sunday mornings.  I have leaned on the ministry team for creativity and the ministry team has leaned on me to present it.  It seems to work and both of us are glad.

You can't be good at everything.  Truth is, you might be good at only a few things.  However, community is a place where people can scratch each others' backs and we can feel good about what we can get done together.  Be in community with one another.  It can make everyone a more fulfilled person.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe


No comments:

Post a Comment