Monday, June 29, 2020

Ga Ga Ball And Making Faith Stories

Hello Church,

I am saying hello from Camp Otterbein today.  A few of you might recognize the picture.  It includes one of the most popular activities of the camp.... Ga Ga Ball.

If you are interested, this link shows Ga Ga Ball in action.  I played with the family just yesterday and it brought back some memories.

It's been since 2013 that I've seen this United Methodist camp.  I came here to attend a Parents and Me camp with Hope when she was 9 or 10 years old.  The UMC has 2 other camps in West Ohio:  Camp Wesley and Camp Widewater.  I served as a pastoral counselor at Wesley a couple of different summers and attended Local Pastors School at Widewater.

So my history with church camps isn't a long one, but I don't underestimate the significance of camp experiences as part of many Faith stories.  God finds His way into the hearts of many young people, including a few camp counselors who get to develop relationship with the campers very quickly.  Songs are sung and prayers are prayed.  Among the night hikes and smores and swimming, faith is developed and it isn't unusual for kids to return from camp wanting baptized and/or to join the church. 

As you might expect, currently there is not a lot going on here because of Covid.  Normally, this camp would be bustling with kids running around everywhere.  As it is, it is just me and my 11 family members.  It's an odd feeling, but it's nice and quiet too..... and a little sad.

As I look out across the property, I wonder how many campers are missing out on the opportunity to meet God here.  I'm especially cognizant of how Covid can impact our faith development.  It makes me more aware of our responsibility as the church to keep trying to be creative in how we encourage faith development. 

So I ask for prayers for churches everywhere.  We are at a time when local churches need to culturally adapt.  Those who do will be able to get through this time.  Those who don't risk losing connection with those faith story opportunities.  Here at Emmanuel, I am pleased with how we are adapting in the areas of Worship.  However, I feel like we are entering a time when we need to start challenging ourselves to adapt in other ways.

So keep praying and let's see where God takes us.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe


No comments:

Post a Comment