Monday, July 20, 2020

Don't Be A Witch

Hello Church,

We are spoiled.  There are moments when we don't realize this.  There are moments when we are reminded of how spoiled we really are.

Our air conditioning went out at the parsonage.

I try to keep things in perspective.  Part of me wants to get grumpy and irritable and pout.  Yet visions of my mother affirming to me that life isn't fair reminds me that grumpiness and pouting doesn't make this unfair world a better place.

First world problems are a constant distraction for all of us... as it is for me.  I grew up with a bedroom that had no heat nor air conditioning.  I slept with a fan blowing on me and my siblings in the Summer and we slept with electric blankets in the Winter.  We didn't know any better then.  Now we do.  In the process we got spoiled.

I wonder what God thinks of it all.  When we are convinced that we deserve the luxuries of life, does He just shake His head at us?  And when we are distracted about the little things (like air conditioning), is He still pointing out to us those opportunities we could show love and grace if we weren't so grumpy and irritable?

I am going to try harder to not get distracted by my first world problems.  I don't want to miss that chance to remind someone that they are loved just because I'm too grumpy to say so. 

I invite you to do the same.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe


No comments:

Post a Comment