Monday, August 3, 2020

Time To NOT Turn The Other Cheek

Hello Church,

The saying is familiar.  It is one of passiveness.... going above and beyond to avoid violence.... turn the other cheek.  Jesus taught it.  It was taught to me.  I taught it to my kids.  However, in some cases, it does not apply.

Here is one such case:

Back in February I had things rolling.  I was on the Keto diet and had lost about 18 lbs.  I was on a mission to be more optimistic in 2020 and was well on my way.  Things were pretty good....  then...

Covid has dealt me (and maybe some of you) a serious blow.  Over the months I have wrestled with mental and emotional issues.  Isolation and helplessness are the big ones, trying to lead a church that has a hard time even meeting in the same room.  Add to it the uncertainty and divisiveness of how to live in this pandemic and it can create increased anxiety.  Based on past experience, I know these can lead to bigger issues like depression and feelings of inadequacy.  Because I know this, I started getting frustrated with myself.  But what really ticked me off?  I gained all my weight back and then some.

There comes a time when you just have to punch back.

Today Kim and I start the 'Couch to 5k' program.  God wants us to take care of ourselves even in the midst of pandemics.  I don't have Covid.  So why am I letting it take away my health?  Ridiculous!

I'm also going to talk to someone who can give me an objective perspective and bring me back to some sort of mental/emotional balance.  I've done it before and it always has helped.  So why have I waited?

I invite you to give yourself a fair account on how you are doing.  What would Jesus say?  If Covid has beat you down, would He tell you to turn the other cheek?  Or punch back?  Hear it from your pastor:  take a hard swing at Covid.  

God Is Good,
Pastor Joe






No comments:

Post a Comment