Monday, January 4, 2021

What's Up With The Attitude?

 Hello Church,

Most of Scripture isn't about what happens to you.  It is about how you respond to what happens to you.

For me, a new year brings an introspection of the old year.  To be clear, introspection is a look inward.  It is an examination of one's own feelings or thoughts.  It is an act of self awareness.  How do I think about how I felt?  How do I feel about what I thought?  How did I feel about what I did?

What about you?

The lack of introspection brings a lack of learning about one's self.  It's difficult to improve as a person if you don't evaluate how you have done in the past.  Yes, I know, 2020 was more than difficult than most years.  I am also the first to admit that I spent my share complaining (privately and publicly) about all that was happening around me.

But most of Scripture isn't about what happens to you.  It is about how you respond to what happens to you

We like to read about everything God did to us; for us; around us; with us; within us; in spite of us; etc.  However, large chunks of Holy Scripture describes how people responded to what was going on around them, whether events were caused by God or not.  

How did you respond in 2020?  How will you respond in 2021?

For me, 2021 is going to be an opportunity to better respond to events around me.... the way Scripture teaches:  empathy, compassion, grace, love and generally be more helpful.  Most of all, I want to do what Scripture describes the most about how people respond:  giving thanks to God.

I pray your introspection will bring you renewed intentions as you move into a new year.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment