Monday, January 11, 2021

Why I Choked Up In Worship Yesterday

 Hello Church,

I do have those moments when I cry.  It isn't often.  My kids can testify that they simply don't see me cry.  Truth is, in almost every moment, my rare times of tears come as I lead worship.

Yesterday was one of those days.  You can look it up on our podcast.  I don't really get proud or embarrassed by it.  I actually think I handle it okay when it happens.  I just stop talking for a few seconds and let the moment pass.  Then I continue.  Usually it only takes a few seconds.  Yesterday at the 9:00 service was different.

It came while reading the creed during the Congregational Reaffirmation of the Baptismal Covenant.  I've read the creed a million times in my life.  It shouldn't have been such a hard thing to do.  But there are a couple of realities that smacked me in the face while I read it......

First, only I could ready it.  Normally, in that situation, we would be reading it together.  The reality of the pandemic and the protocols that were put in place discourages us from reading or singing together.  I think the idea of the congregation not getting the privilege to read it together as a Faith community saddened me more than I ever expected..... especially the creed... the one liturgy that explains the backbone of our Faith.  Stupid Covid.

Secondly, as we experience so much bitterness, anger and even hatred in our social and political world, it occurred to me that so many are trying to get through it without the Faith that the creed describes.  This is a foreign idea to me.  Without my Faith, I know I would be a much more hopeless and angry person.  If such people would just choose to embrace the Faith... even if it is another Faith... I believe it would ease our spirits and calm us down enough to do a better job of handling conflict.  And yet people, for some reason, conclude that the Christian Faith... any Faith... is somehow inconvenient or silly or detrimental or whatever.  This doubly saddens me.

The good news?  I got through it and read the creed.  And I'll get through stupid Covid.  And I'll get through the frustrations of our time.  Why?  Well.... read the creed and you'll understand.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe





No comments:

Post a Comment