Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Holes In Our Walls

 Hello Church,

A picture says a thousand words.  Holes in walls also talk.  Which one do you prefer?

We are nearly all unpacked and settled.  Our last steps are to put up wall hangings.  This is my least favorite step of all.  Why?  I don't like putting holes in walls.  It ruins a perfectly smooth, freshly painted wall.  It seems destructive (or maybe it triggers my memory of kicking a hole in the wall as a teen because I was mad at my parents..... a story for another day...)

My wife gets annoyed with me on this.  Yes, I know, there are other ways to hang things such as with hooks that 'stick' to the walls.  Our experience is that those things can bring down paint and drywall when it is time to take them off.  Just as bad.... maybe worse.

So I am trying to work my way around this.  On one hand, a hole in the wall is not natural.  On the other, we are hanging something that is intended to speak to the kind of home that we want.  We have lots of sentimental hangings, some of which I adore and some that I find humorous.

I guess none of us are perfectly smooth.  We all have blemishes, many of which are not natural.  I guess the trick is to find ways to use our blemishes to hang something that people adore..... or better yet.... that God adores.

For example, some of you have already experienced my sarcasm and attempt at dry humor.  While some appreciate it, I have been known to use it as an unfair tactic for arguing..... a blemish... not good.

So over the years I have tried to use it as a way to help people relax in tense situations.... a form of comedy that can get people to loosen up a bit.  Being loose helps when being the Church.  God has given us reason to not be so high strung.

So what is your blemish?  How can you use it to hang something that people can use toward the good?

God is Good,

Pastor Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment