Sunday, July 11, 2021

When Small Tables Become Big Again

 Hello Church,

Our kitchen table is smaller.

At the risk of making my wife cry, our table has shrunk over the years.  It used to be fully folded out with all the leaves inserted.  This is because we had 5 kids + 2 adults sitting around it.  The table would take up a lot of space, so much so that we would actually use the dining room in which to eat.  A whole box of spaghetti wouldn't be enough and the skillet would never be large enough to fry all the hamburgers at one time.

Years come and go.  High chairs get put away.  Booster seats get sold at yard sales.  Kids become teens who become young adults and move to college....

The table gets smaller.

I'm sadder than I thought I'd be as I adjust to our empty nest.  However, I also admit that I'd be more sad if all those kids came back home to live with us.  There are not too many good reasons for that to happen.  Our goal as parents is to help our kids learn how to be self-sufficient.  I proudly say that they are doing a pretty good job.  I'd take all the credit, but we all know better, don't we?

While this blog may make you sad too, take heart!  There are rewards to pushing the baby bird out of the nest.  Life changes, but that doesn't mean it gets worse.  Indeed, it can get better!

Kim and I can eat whatever we want without moaning and groaning from others.  Only 2 plates get dirty at a time.  The trash gets taken out less often.  There is no fighting over the tv.  I get the basement all to myself.  Kim gets the upstairs all to herself.  There are no 3.5 hours of t-ball games.  Best of all, we get to laugh at all our kids who are complaining about what we used to complain about.  It's fantastic!

and now.?????...... 

there are grandkids!!!!!......

......which makes the table get big again.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment