Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Good for the Soul

Do you take Jesus everywhere you go?

For those of you who do not know, I actually do not live at the church building. In general, most of you know me as the pastor who wanders around the life of the church helping ministry happen so that disciples of Jesus can be developed. I preach and teach and try my best to interact with people, especially on Sundays (but also during the week). I try to take Jesus with me so that I can be as focused as possible on the purpose of the church.

But there are other places that I go.....

For one, I am a very competitive Dad. If you ever saw me at a Cross Country meet or a little league game, you would likely not recognize me. I'm not in khakis or a golf shirt. I probably am wearing a hat and my really cool sunglasses (even Kim says I look cool). And my behavior is ... shall we say... a bit more intense. When people say I get into my preaching, they haven't yet seen me in the midst of athletic competition, whether I am participating or observing. Over the years---especially in my younger years---I have embarrassed myself with intense behavior, whether it be out of disgust or joy. There may have been a time or two when I even made Jesus blush, though I won't recite those examples here.

Over the years I've had to remember to take Jesus with me to such competitions. The most obvious example is in the living room when the Bengals are playing. Having to persevere about 20 years of absolute hopeless football tempts a person to UNinvite Jesus just so they could throw something at the tv. I'm not going to officially claim that I've thrown anything in regards to watching the Bengals. Let's just say that Jesus knows and that's all that matters (Kim, on the other hand, refuses to stay in the same house with me when the Bengals are on. In fact, I am often alone in the house which is odd when you have 5 kids.....refreshingly odd, but odd nonetheless).

So I am thankful that Jesus, at least, is willing to be beside me on Sunday afternoons. But there are other places that I go. Where do you go? And do you invite Jesus along?

It's a tough thing to be in an attitude of confession. We don't want to think of the times when we forgot Jesus was with us and acted accordingly. However, consider the significance of living at church on Sunday but acting different on Wednesday. Even if you are not a pastor, the credibility of your Faith is carried with you through the week. Not that you need to be a perfect angel, but admitting when you are not behaving the way Jesus would prefer is important. Confession is not only good for the soul, it is good for being a witness to others that your Faith is more important than any emotional response you might make to anything else.

So in the midst of our mistakes, let's admit them and do better next time. The reality is that Jesus comes with us whether we invite Him or not.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment