Monday, December 16, 2013

Come To The Barn

Hello Emmanuel,

Now I am finally starting to get revved up for Christmas.  Yes, I know, it’s still a whole 10 days away, but I am now needing to focus on the Christmas messages as I prepare for, not 1, not 2, but 3 Christmas services.

Blue Christmas – this Saturday at 6:30
This will be the 3rd year that we’ve provided a Blue Christmas service.  I admit that I’ve had moments in my life when I walked away from a cheery Christmas event only to feel sad (and sometimes not even knowing why).  And then there were times that I was confused and even irritated that I felt sad.  And then there were times that I was irritated that others were so happy.  What a mess!

So this Saturday will be a time to celebrate Christmas on the longest night of the year without the pressure of being all cheerful.   Cheer should come natural and, when it doesn’t, you shouldn’t have to feel the need to look cheerful just because it’s expected this time of year.  And yet Jesus is still born in the barn and all will be ok with the world.  Come and be at peace with us, even if you don’t feel like smiling.

Children’s Program – Sunday, 9:00 and 10:30
As usual, the 4th Sunday of Advent allows the kids of the church to tell the Christmas story in their own unique way.  This year is going to look rather different, but will also bring a fresh look at the birth story (and you don’t have to… er.. get to hear Pastor Joe preach so long).  I’m looking forward to seeing how this goes. 

Christmas Eve – 7:00
Bring on the kids.  I take the early service as a personal challenge.  Can I lead a congregation full of people in a meaningful worship service while including the unpredictable nature of children?  Yes!!!  Yes, I can!!!  Last year the children illustrated the importance of candles at Christmas and it was a fun time of joy.  Emmanuel has attempted to make the 7:00 service a true family time of worship.  There is no childcare available because we want the children present (after all, Jesus was a baby.. possibly crying and being a distraction to everything in that barn).  So expect 7:00 to be fun and watch the kids as they learn, listen and interact amidst the miracle of Christmas.

Christmas Eve – 10:00
Traditional candlelight services present opportunity to reflect.  This later service will be quieter.  You will be invited to think and ponder and meditate on why God has invited you to a barn.  If you listen closely, you might hear a message that can send you into 2014 with a different perspective… and more encouragement to listen more often.

I invite you to participate in worship over the next 10 days.  As you can see, there is plenty of opportunity.  God has invited you to the barn.  We’ve done you a favor and heated the barn and called it the sanctuary.  As you’ll find out, Christ will still be present.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment