Monday, December 9, 2013

The Word is 'Sensationalism'

Hello Emmanuel,

The word for the day is:  sensationalism.

I hope you made it through the ‘white death’ this past weekend.  I did.  And while my wife and I huddled at home in fear of those dreaded white flakes, we took time to giggle at the tv.  We understand that the weather people have a job to do.  They are to warn us when conditions outside worsen.  They are to allow us the opportunity to prepare to stay safer than we would otherwise be. 

The word for the day is:  sensationalism.

I wonder if the weather people intend for Kroger to run out of milk and bread in 37 minutes.  At the same time, I wonder if the weather people intend for us to be laughed at by our neighbors up north (or by those who live as close as Cleveland… having lived in Cleveland, I can attest to the fact that lake-effect snow is much more ‘sensational’)

Now before you send me an email about how people get hurt and even killed in weather like we had this weekend, let me assure you that I understand the seriousness by which each of us should decide to be on the roads or not.  I also agree that many should NOT be on the roads in worse-than-normal conditions (and, yes, some should not be on the roads in normal conditions).  My point in this MMP is not to debate how we treat inclement weather.  My point?

The word for the day is:  sensationalism.

Maybe it is because winter throws in a break-up of our normal every day routine.  Maybe that is why we get excited.  But it does seem to me that we over-sensationalize the white stuff.  As soon as someone mentions ‘3 to 5 inches’, places start closing (by the way, if Emmanuel ever cancels events, it will be on channel 12 and on facebook).  But what happens when we don’t get what is talked about?  What happens when the roads are not so dangerously slick?  Do we feel silly?    

I wonder if Christmas is also the victim of ‘sensationalism’.  I get the feeling that some expect something more in December than in July---that there is some sort of higher expectation in what we experience or feel from God.  Maybe it becomes true for some, but let me just speak for myself here.  As a person in the faith, I believe Jesus is proof that God wants me redeemed and to have hope in a better future.  My belief in a savior who loves me is just as true in July as in December.  The only difference is that in December we focus on his birth.  In July we focus on his teachings.

I believe Christmas is sensational!  Indeed, it is just as sensational as any season when I sit and meditate on how much God tries to reach out to me.  I just wonder if we over-sensationalize the season to the detriment of our faith….. that when our experience doesn’t meet our heightened expectation, we can’t help but wonder if we are missing something.

The fact is, God makes Christmas as sensational as it needs to be.  Christmas doesn’t need our help.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go develop a normal Christmas Eve service.  It will be sensational.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment