Monday, December 2, 2013

Inevitably It's Okay

Hello Emmanuel,

What an interesting time of year.

There are about 4 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  The Church calls the time ‘Advent’.  It is supposed to be a time of preparation for the coming of Christ.  I say that there is much more preparation that happens.  It’s a time of year that keeps me busy, some for not all the good reasons.  Consider the following:

First, you have four weeks to prepare for the 2nd family gathering in … well… 4 weeks.  Depending on how your family Thanksgiving went, you get the chance to prepare for the next family gathering.  I, personally, had a really good Thanksgiving with the family.  A positive Thanksgiving experience lends itself to looking forward to family at Christmas.  However, I know that there are negative family experiences out there on any given Thanksgiving.  Indeed, the dysfunction of family relationships (of which we all have to some degree at some point in time) can create the need to vent to the pastor (it’s why I’m here… so feel free).  In addition, it creates angst as one awaits the follow-up to meeting with the same family in 4 weeks for Christmas.  Ideally, it should be anticipation, not angst.  However, we are human beings.  Ideals aren’t always the reality.

Second, these 4 weeks almost always see an increase in hospital visits and stay-at-home illnesses.  The scientist would say this is a result in climate and bacteria and viruses that get passed from one to another.  I am also in good company when I suggest that these 4 weeks create more stress and stress lends itself to illness.  Lots of reasons for an increase in stress:  Thanksgiving family debacles; pressures of buying the perfect gifts; irritating drivers in heavier-than-usual traffic; remembering happy memories of loved ones who are no longer with us; and my personal favorite, feeling the need to look joyful even when you are not because we are taught that if we don’t, then there must be something wrong.

Third, I believe that we have more sadness to cope with during these 4 weeks.  Thanksgivings/Christmases are triggers for many of our hearts.  We participate in repeated traditions that bring memories of those who we loved dearly.  We remember spending time with relatives and friends during a time when we didn’t realize how good we had it.  This time of year can truly become a month-long memorial service.  (but don’t forget to look joyful… because if you don’t, then there must be something wrong).

So what do we do?  I wish I had a magical answer to solve this polemic problem in December.  I don’t have a magical answer.  I do believe I have a biblical one.  At the risk of sounding too curt:  do you have Jesus in your heart?

Advent is a time to look forward to Jesus.  This doesn’t always solve our immediate problems/stresses during these 4 weeks.  However let me throw out my personal perspective that allows me to keep an even keel to at least to some degree.  I’ve learned over the years that Christmas, for me, is more about peace than about joy.  I can live through these 4 weeks knowing that Jesus is coming.  And Jesus trumps any ups and downs that this month can bring me.  At the end of the 4 weeks, I get to hear and tell the story of the Christ-child.  That particular ending of this season has helped defuse any kind of December we might have.

Anticipating the coming of Christ helps minimize any angst regarding family dysfunction; helps put in perspective what kinds of stress is really worth dealing with; and is a reminder that resurrection is a real part of my faith.  Advent helps me get ready…. Not for a month-long memorial service… but for a birth story.  Celebrating Advent as it is truly intended gives me some peace to balance out the chaos.  I might not feel like it on December 2nd or 12th or 19th…. But on the evening of December 24th when I escape to worship service, I feel like it… I feel like God found a way to make things ok… if not great.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment