Monday, March 24, 2014

An Exciting Storm

Hello Emmanuel,

With everything about ready to happen at Emmanuel, I feel like this is the week of calm before the storm.  Every year at this time a check myself to be sure I’m ready for it all.  While I don’t find myself doing any one thing a lot, I do make sure I spend my time making sure all the leaders are equipped for what needs to be done.  It’s a little dizzying for me, but I always seem to enjoy the outcome.  Lots of people love Jesus and will spend their energy expressing such. 

The truth is that it takes a lot of energy.  And we need lots of help.  The Easter Egg Hunt (April 19th at Batavia Township Park, 1:00-3:00) needs 100 volunteers to help pull it off smoothly (if you want to help, you can register here or sign up in the lobby of the church).  The Chocolate Easter Egg production that raises funds for the United Methodist Women for mission work takes a lot of helpers too… .over a 2 week period.  Easter is full of life, but also full of needed energy.  Add Maundy Thursday (7:00) and Easter breakfast and you have even more stuff to look forward to. 

And this year seems to be even busier.  We have scheduled a Blessing of the Bikes for April 27th at 10:30 worship.  This is not a new idea, but a new event at Emmanuel.  We are not sure what the turnout will be, but we are saving space in the back part of the parking lot just in case. 

I could go on with all the mission projects we are supporting over the next 2 months, but I’m digressing.  Are you ready for Easter?  Really ready?  I’m not asking if you have your new Easter clothes or have penciled ‘church’ into your calendar.  I’m asking if you are ready to celebrate new life.  Are you prepared to see your day as an opportunity to live anew instead of just living some more?

I admit that I’m not always ready.  I too often get caught up in the busy-ness of Easter instead of the message of Easter.  I too often am relieved when Easter is over instead of excited that Easter has begun.  I’ll try not to do so this year.  There will be too many chances to invite people to meet Jesus and consider that the idea of mortality is being overthrown.

Someone is going to find a new source of hope over the next couple of months.  Indeed, I want many more people to find a new source of hope and life.  I invite you to do your part in making Easter a time for living anew.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment