Monday, March 17, 2014

Don't Assume I'm Wearing Green

Hello Emmanuel,

Never assume you know someone else’s story.

I’m not wearing green today.  I guess I’m a glutton for punishment.  Today is St. Patrick’s Day.  What better time to talk about a saint.  What I have learned again today is to never assume you know someone else’s story.

St. Patrick wasn’t Irish and he wasn’t even named Patrick.  A son of a Roman imperial official in Britain, Magonus Sucatus was captured by Irish pirates (I wonder if they wore green eye patches) and was sold into slavery.  He escaped 6 years later and eventually ended up in a monastery in France, feeling the call to become a priest.  He later became known as Patricius (Latin for ‘Patrick’).  He returned to Ireland to evangelize the pagans and lead a Christian movement.  He then became the first Bishop of Ireland.

Not much more is known about him, though many legends surround him.  Indeed, there seems to be many more legends around him than what is factually known.  This leads me to my point for today:  never assume you know someone else’s story.

I certainly have discovered many instances of those who meet me, find out that I’m a pastor, and assume they know who I am, what I’m about and even how I expect them to act.  These stories are humorous in many instances.  But mostly it is disconcerting to me.  The label ‘pastor’ isn’t who I am.  It is just one of many roles I play in life.  Those who get to know me find out that I don’t let labels define me.  Those who don’t understand this will either not ever get to know me or will not like me once they do.

The positive side to all of this is that it serves as reminder to me not to put too much emphasis on the labels of others.  There are all kinds of stereotypes out there for teachers, nurses, mechanics, office workers, etc; and the church is full of such labelled people.  I prefer to try and find out who they are.  I am much less concerned with what they do. 

Oh… and this is the way Jesus is too.  He is much more concerned about who you are.  Are you humble?  Selfless?  Loving?  Merciful and compassionate?  Forgiving?  Hopeful?  The qualities that make up a person… if they are Christ-like…. make labels much less significant.

So the next time you meet someone new, don’t assume you know any part of their story.  Get to know them.  You may make a friend in the most unexpected places.  Who would’ve thought that St. Patrick would have ever gone back to his land of slavery and get to know the people?  Not me.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment