Monday, June 23, 2014

I Got Recalled

Hello Emmanuel,

My car is being recalled this year… twice.  It’s inconvenient.  Doesn’t GM know my weekly schedule?  Don’t they know I don’t have time to get my car fixed… like… ever?  And yet I’m being told to take my car in to get worked on, as if I should just drop everything that’s clearly not nearly as important.

But there is something wrong with my car.  There are 2 things wrong with my car and GM is willing to fix it at no cost to me (other than time).  This is awfully nice of them, which leads me to this week’s MMP message:

What if God recalled you to fix your flaws?  Would you take the time?

I am not always aware of my flaws though I do take pride in my self-awareness (pride is one of my flaws).  I like being my own worst critic because I can handle my own criticism of myself better than criticism from other people.  So I go about the task of figuring out my flaws.

But what if God wanted to fix your flaws?  Would you take the time?

The painful part is trying to let God help me fix stuff.  I’ve had to learn patience which is incredibly painful.  I’ve needed to learn when to be more assertive, how to apologize better, how to speak more articulately, and the list is much longer but I’m going to refrain from ruining your image of me (again… that pride thing).

Most of the major learnings I’ve needed to make wouldn’t have happened if God wouldn’t have recalled me.  The way I see that God recalls me is to teach me when I’m not aware of my flaws, mainly through those who are close to me that I trust.  My most valuable lessons have come through my mentors who lovingly show me my flaws and challenge me to make myself better. 

Then I have to decide if I want to take the time.  When I do, I am better for it.  When I don’t, I do everyone a disservice, including myself.  Would you take the time to fix your flaws?

Too often I hear people say something to the effect of, ‘I’m too old to change now’ or ‘I’m too set in my ways’.  Even younger people make excuses as to why they can’t work on themselves (much of the time, it’s blaming others about their flaws).  I have words for this, but I can’t type them here.

God wants you to improve yourself.  Yes, you’ll always be a sinner and hopefully a forgiven sinner, but God wants you to be a better person tomorrow than yesterday.  Listen to what your trusted friends say about you.  Take it to heart.  Don’t be offended for too long and take on the task of improving.  You will be blessed.  I say this from personal experience.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment