Monday, February 8, 2016

Ashes, Hearts and Arguments

Hello Emmanuel,

This is the week I argue with myself…. Every year.  It is the week when the season of Epiphany ends and the season of Lent begins.  It is the argument between the traditional side of me and the practical side of me.  Not that tradition is always impractical.  But in this case, let me explain.

Ash Wednesday is a very important day in the Christian year.  Ash Wednesday helps us understand the season of Lent.  Lent leads us to Holy Week.  Holy Week helps us experience the joy of Easter morning, which leads to Pentecost… etc, etc, etc.

February 10th is Ash Wednesday.  I remember days on which I would metaphorically (and one time, literally), pound the pulpit to encourage people to attend Ash Wednesday service.  Being traditional at heart, I went about my pastoral duties to wrench people away from their mid-week routine to get them in the pews, if only for 30 or 40 minutes so I could preach repentance and show them how incredibly important it was to kick of Lent in an appropriate and timely manner.

And each year, the 10 or 15 people who would show would take it really seriously…. *sigh*

Not that I would expect the normal 182 people to show up as enthusiastically on Wednesday evening as they do on Sunday, especially since the Ash Wednesday message of ‘you should be sorry for being so sinful’ doesn’t exactly bring out the energy in people.  However, I fully admit that, over the years, I would feel a bit defeated at my attempt to get the Word out exactly when our Faithful Forefathers said we should… on that Wednesday, 6.5 weeks before the resurrection. 

Then one year I got a little crazy in the head and decided to risk the wrath of said Forefathers and seek to get the message of Ashes out on a different day.  To some this may not seem like a big step, but for a traditional pastor like me, this was bordering on heresy.  And if you are going to break tradition, it better be for a good reason.

So Ash Sunday was born.  If people won’t come to the message of Ash Wednesday, take Ash Wednesday to the people.  That’s what my modern side said.  Is it awkward for my traditional side.  Yep.  Still is.  Probably always will be, but lightning hasn’t struck me yet.  I can only hope, each year, to get my sermon preached before it does. 

So I invite you to Ash Sunday this week.  If your traditional side wins out, I totally understand.  I lean on the reality that many churches will be having Ash Wednesday service this week.  Who knows?  Maybe I’ll even go to one.  For Emmanuel, the sanctuary is getting painted, the praise team will be practicing, and children will be dancing in the church.  Still not a bad Wednesday, even if no one will be wearing sackcloth.

….. now I just have figure out what Ashes have to do with Valentine’s Day.  On second thought, I’ve been married a long time.  It may not be too difficult of a connection to make.  Am I right?  See you Sunday.


God is Good,


Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment