Monday, February 1, 2016

19 Years And Counting

Hello Emmanuel,

19 years ago—in the midst of a lot of snow and in a small country church—I married Kim.  I am certain that some of my friends thought I was crazy.  Not only did Kim move into that small parsonage in Harrod, Ohio, but so did her 3 kids.  I think they were 8, 5 and 3 at the time, though I was too delirious in love to really pay too much attention.

Fast forward to 2016.  Now they are 27, 24, 22, 17 and 12 (I think… don’t hold me to this.  When they get past 5 I lose count).  Yes, we added 2 more.  So there have been 19 years of trying to do the right thing and 19 years of learning how to do better next time.  I either have gained my sanity back or I have become desensitized to being crazy.  In any case, life is still good.

So what have your last 19 years been like?  What were you doing 19 years ago (Feb. 1, 1998).  What was your mind-set?  What were your goals?  What caused you stress?  What kind of car did you have?  What grade were you in?  What was your salary?  What did your fashion statement say?

Things change.  Lives change.  Some say that very little actually changes.  I’m not so sure.  I might even suggest that if nothing much has changed for you the last 19 years, then what is going on?  My philosophy, faith, spending habits, perspective on God, approach to my job, how I manage my relationships….. all have shifted, some dramatically.  Hopefully for the better, but not always. 

So what have your last 19 years been like?  Have you changed for the better?  What would God say?  Have you grown spiritually?  Do you love more?  Hate less?  Forgive more easily?  Or have you grown more bitter?  More discouraged? 

I used to think life was a sprint; that life was too short.  Maybe.  I’m not so sure anymore.  How we grow as people rarely happens quickly.  Often times it means taking a moment to really think back through the years and consider how you have changed.  Some of the more meaningful growing points can happen gradually over a long period of time… so much so that we may not even realize it.

In the world of the church we often focus on those lightning bolt moments that shake us up immediately and cause us to get with the program.  However, as a pastor, my biggest joy is watching a person grind out the Christian life day by day and year by year.  And then looking back with them and showing them how far they have traveled with God.

You are invited to take a moment and consider how you have grown…. Over the last 19 years.  Hopefully God would be pleased.

God is Good,


Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment