Monday, February 25, 2019

When Methodism Breaks....

Hello Church,

I am super-excited about our readiness to launch a new vision on March 18th (6:30).  Whether you are a doer or a planner, you are invited to attend as we set the stage for a new approach to being church...

However, as we get ready to pivot and charge in a slightly different direction, I am forced to pause, if even for a few days....

The special session of General Conference in St. Louis is happening as I type this.  I have been watching and listening at how delegates in the United Methodists from around the world are engaging each other on the issue of human sexuality, specifically how to treat homosexuality among our clergy and churches.

While the final vote isn't in as of this writing, it is clear that we are a very divided church.  Irregardless of the outcome of General Conference, people will be hurt; churches will be dissatisfied; and individuals and local congregations will leave the denomination.  As someone who has been spiritually raised by the United Methodist Church, this breaks my heart.

My liberal friends and my conservative friends will be happy or sad depending on the outcome.  Those who are conservative will expect me to feel with them and those who are liberal will expect me to feel with them.  The truth is, I have my own category of feelings and it is unlikely that either of them will be able to empathize, especially those who are too lost in their own passionate opinions.

My passionate opinion is that other passionate opinions have lost perspective.  Jesus spent a lot of time NOT talking about a LOT of stuff.  I am a follower of Jesus.  Therefore, I will try to preoccupy my energy with the same things Jesus preoccupied His energy.  That doesn't include a lot of things, but it is enough to keep my day full.

So when you see me minimize issues that you are passionate about, I don't intend to offend you.  I will try to be pastoral and walk with you where you are.  But there is a chance that I will simply be preoccupied by something else.  True, it may be about what the starting pitching rotation might look like for the Reds or if a bicycle trip across the Alleghenies would be smart.... but it might also have to do with thinking about how Jesus might approach your passionate topic.

So I hope you come on March 18th at 6:30.  We are going to eat (Jesus did a lot of that) and we are going to talk about worship and fellowship and discipleship (Jesus did a lot of that too).  We are going to make 'a way forward' and when General Conference gets done with their stuff, they can tell us what we need to know.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe








No comments:

Post a Comment