Monday, March 30, 2020

Pastor Joe Is Available

Hello Church,

As we get deeper into this new, strange world we live in, I consider my role in all of this.  For sure, my personal life has taken on a sudden change.  Joey is home from school but still 'going' to class via the computer.  Hope is in some strange limbo with her activities as well.  Kim is not working at all.  This all equates with everyone being home a lot (which is what we are supposed to do).

While my personal life has shifted, I realize I am still a pastor and still working.  So what about my job?  How do I serve the church in the most effective way possible, given the extreme limitations on where I can go and who I can meet and how I can meet them?  Staying connected is my goal... here is what I am doing it so far.....

First, I am diving into more on-line connections.  In addition to this blog, I will be going live on Facebook on Thursday at 7:30 for devotion and prayer time.  We'll see how it goes. 

Second, there is the Sunday Morning podcast.  Russ Bowman has helped out immensely and continues to provide music.  We are recording on Saturday mornings.  It's certainly a different context for me as I like to feed off of the congregation during my message.  Now all I have is Russ... who mostly just points the camera at me, pushes a button and gives me a look as if to say, 'good luck with that'. (some day I am going to point the camera at him and see how he likes it).

Third, there is a lot of work being done in the background to help with the financial side of the church.  Truth is, churches still have bills.  Many churches struggle even when there is an offering every week.  Emmanuel is not immune to the struggle, but there are a few who are mailing in their tithe (we encourage those who can, to do so.... PO 351, Batavia, OH  45103).  We are also looking at other opportunities..... loan deferments, grants and forgivable loans.... pray for us as we pursue these.

Fourth, remember the chocolate Easter Eggs?  We will be offering drive-thru pick up on this Saturday, 9:00-12:00.  If that isn't good enough, please call Pastor Joe (463-7378).  You can come and pick up your eggs without getting out of your car.  And you can buy extra eggs if you so desire. 

Fifth, I am always available for conversation.  Never be afraid to call or text.  If you want to meet in person (with social distancing rules in place), I am good with that too.  We can't meet at Panera, but we can meet at the church building.  You don't even have to have a major stresser or dilemma.  In times like these, a normal conversation can take on more value than in 'normal' times.

Sixth, I am connected with a resourceful group of pastors (a private Facebook page) who are struggling with the same issues.  We share ideas with each other and the success and failure of those ideas.

As I struggle with how my role will play out in this strange, new world, I welcome any feedback and suggestions.  I very much want to be your pastor, even if from a distance.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe


No comments:

Post a Comment