Monday, March 23, 2020

The One Place Where Traffic Is Heavier

Hello Church,

I have the joy every day to wake up in the morning, go downstairs and look out my big, front picture window.  In years past I would see a small wooded area across our street.  In recent years, the owner has slowly cleared out the trees and planted grass, readying the plot to sell to anyone who might want to build a house.

As such, I now get the view that was behind that wooded area:  the cemetery.

This doesn't bother me as much as it would some people.  In addition, I have been a distant observer of funerals and would at times hear the somber sounds of Taps.  However, over the past couple of weeks I have noticed a new dynamic:  heavier traffic.  I have seen more cars slowly driving through or even stopping for several minutes.  Some would get out and stare at a given tombstone.  I admit that part of me wants to have conversations with them.  How are they feeling?  What are they thinking?  Who are they missing?

I have had the opportunity to dwell on this new dynamic.  I wonder why this is?  Is it because other people have more free time and decide to visit their past?  Is it because this pandemic has caused more people to think on their own mortality?  Often times, when we get troubled, we do tend to get more philosophical about life.... and theological.

This is Lent.  It is a time to especially focus on God.  While pandemics don't need to happen in order for us to get this message, the truth is that troubled times do fill the church pews.... and bring more visitors to cemeteries.... and cause us to especially focus on God.

I hope you are healthy and safe.  We will get through this.  I pray that we get through this knowing that God is with us.

God is Good,
Pastor Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment