Monday, August 24, 2020

Hitchhiking Jesus

 Hello Church,

I picked up hitchhikers yesterday.  I know, I know, you aren't supposed to do that.  It isn't safe.  I know this as a result of my wife's reaction when I told her that I picked up hitchhikers yesterday.

The hill between Batavia village and UC Clermont has a lot of foot traffic.  A lot of low-income people live in the apartments near the campus.  The result is a lot of walking between there and the village.  If you have seen the hill (and if you have walked it or biked up it like me), then you know the pain that it is, quite literally.  So on my way to the church building yesterday (you know, the place where we learned to be a good neighbor), my heart found a soft spot.... and I gave a couple a lift up the hill.

I don't pick up hitchhikers often.... maybe 4 times in my life?  Though I understand it used to be quite the thing to do and, in some parts of the world, still is.  Then I realized that Jesus could have been quite the hitchhiker.  He traveled everywhere on foot. I wonder if He ever hitched a ride on a wagon.  I bet He did.

I also bet you would feel bad if you knew you passed by Jesus and didn't offer Him a ride.  No, this isn't a guilt trip to motivate you to pick up hitchhikers.  Don't do that.  It isn't safe!  (I know this because of my wife's reaction when I told her I picked up hitchhikers).  What I am suggesting is to be aware of stereotypes we have of certain kinds of people and how false those stereotypes can be.

Bill and his girlfriend just moved into the area.  They were super appreciative of the ride.  Their apartment isn't fully furnished yet.  I invited them to our big yard sale in September at the church building.  They are going to check us out.  They thanked me again.... and then again.

I won't be picking up hitchhikers again anytime soon... unless my heart finds a soft spot again.... as I'm going to the church building.... you know.... that place that tells us to be a good neighbor...

God is Good,

Pastor Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment