Monday, May 10, 2021

Make A Nurse Laugh Today

 Hello Church,

In my 48+ years on this earth I have been to the Emergency Room 3 times now.  The first time was while I was in seminary, experiencing panic attacks.  I am sure there is a theological joke there somewhere.  The second time was credited to my oldest daughter Leah who decided to leave a needle in the carpet.  I was the lucky one who got to step on it.

And then there was this past Saturday night....

I've had a couple of gall bladder attacks over the past year or so.  I never had them officially diagnosed because, you know, the internet can inform you of anything at anytime.  No major deal.  I got through them and all was well.....

...until this past Saturday night... after I ate a half a rack of ribs and a cup of chili.....

It took me 3 hours before I gave up on saving at least $800 and went to the ER.  I got to joke around with the night shift nurses who took a while before laughing at my hilarious jokes (you know, the kind that my wife rolls her eyes on).  Fast forward to the end of the night when I was told by a well-spoken ER doctor that I had a gall stone approximately 1 inch big and nothing was going to fix that except surgery.

Each of us, from time to time, are reminded of our mortality.  Some reminders are rather harsh, much more harsh than a gall stone.  You have likely had your reminders over the years.  Sometimes we pay attention and sometimes we don't.

Whatever your reminders have been, know that as the Easter season comes to a close this next Sunday, the stone is still out of the way.  Life is a gift and new life is a better gift.  Enjoy your days in love of one another.  Show God your appreciation by how you use your gift, no matter where you find yourself... even if it is the opportunity to make Saturday night ER nurses laugh... they certainly are reminded of our mortality far too often.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment