Monday, May 3, 2021

Here Comes The New Pastor

 Hello Church,

As most of you know by now, I will be moving on from Emmanuel UMC and starting my next appointment at Springboro First UMC the last weekend in June.  Among the many issues that can cause anxieties in me when I change churches (this will be my 3rd official change) includes who follows me.  This transition is no different.  Truth is, I care about the churches that I leave.  I want them to have the kind of leadership that takes them to the next step..... whatever that next step is.

Well let me introduce you to Pastor Jay Madigan.  When I heard about him coming to Emmanuel, my anxieties eased.  I have known Jay for about 10 years now.  He was the pastor in a nearby church a few years ago.  We were in the same small group and I have become familiar with his pastoral approach.  Emmanuel will be in good hands.

None of us pastors have it all figured out.  We all have our weak points and our gifts.  Knowing this is what causes me anxiety when I leave a church.  While Jay and Emmanuel will have hiccups here and there as I will at Springboro, we do try our best to assimilate as smoothly as possible.  

That said, I am guessing that Pastor Amy at Springboro First has the same anxieties.  I will be the new guy and she does not know me like I know Jay.  This creates a tremendous amount of empathy in me for Amy.  I will do what I can to ease her anxiety, but I know from experience that it won't go away until the new pastor proves him/herself. 

Change is hard.  Change can be good.  Indeed, change can make things better if you go about it the right way.  Pray that Jay, Amy and I go about it the right way so that the churches can flourish.  Pray that the churches go about it the right way so that the pastors can flourish.

God is Good,

Pastor Joe







No comments:

Post a Comment