Monday, June 14, 2021

The WWW vs The Great I Am

 Hello Church,

Computers and I don't often have a healthy relationship.  My brother or wife will tell you that if I touch anything technical on a computer, it will never work again and I will be frustrated to the ends of the earth.  I tell people that I know just enough to be dangerous.  Truth is that I'm just dangerous regardless how much I know.

It is in this context that I share the following:  my laptop died.

Worse yet, it died while we were on vacation at Indian Lake.  It died while I was suffering from the head colds to beat all head colds.  Everyone else had fun on vacation.  I tried my best.

As I processed the death of my computer, I have always processed the number of files that I failed to backup and lost forever.  I once learned the very hard way as, years and years ago, I lost 2 years worth of church work.  Today?  It's a little different.

What I realized is the amount of work that was stored on the Cloud.  Most of you likely know what the Cloud is, but for those who are unfamiliar, it is the magical place where the internet stores all the files you have on your computer, phone, ipad and any other device you so choose to make vulnerable to the World Wide Web.

What I then realized is that I lost nearly 0 files.  It is also when I realized how vulnerable we all are to the WWW.  Think about what would happen to our world if the internet just stopped and died like my laptop.  Think about all the information that would simply be no more.  I don't think we can comprehend the result of such a catastrophe.  

Now think of God who knows all and is all.  God, who goes beyond the wealth of the WWW and includes the personal relationship that He seeks for each one of us.  Think about what would happen if He just stopped.  No more unconditional love, hope, peace and no more new life.  Certainly He has plenty of reasons to stop.  We aren't often very good at being very good.

So every time my laptop dies and I pray to God for perseverance, I will also thank God for His eternal presence and never-ending attempts to be our God.  No matter how many laptops die on me, there will always be prayer.  There will always be a wealth of information to tap into.  God was here before the WWW and He will be here after the WWW.  

God is Good,

Pastor Joe



1 comment: