Monday, April 19, 2021

If You Don't Say It, Who Will?

 Hello Church,

I preached a bit about the mass shooting yesterday and I still have more thoughts on it as I relate them to the role of the Church.  So bear with me if I allow my sermon to overflow into this week's blog.

A several months ago I went through a short phase of being frustrated with Facebook.  I know, I know... a losing battle.  I won't go into the details here as I really don't want to repeat the same conversations and thus experience the same frustrations.

But out of that phase I re-experienced the loving grace of God again.  I was reminded that we are not capable of showing the same grace with the same consistency and measure.  While we can be frustrated with our shortcomings, we can also allow our frustrations to remind us that God has no shortcomings.  It can point us back to God and give Him all of our praise.  So I did.

These mass shootings are certainly more tragic and despairing than any ugliness you see on social media.  However, this is also the Easter season.  The Church has something to say in the midst of tragedy and tears and heartache.  The disciples experienced the same 2,000 years ago and then they experienced the Easter season.  Out of it came joy and hope and love and forgiveness.

Jesus rose from the dead.  That proves God's love for you.  In the name of Jesus Christ, you are forgiven.

The Church has something good to say.  No matter how ugly it gets around us, we should say it.  If we don't, who will?  

God is Good,

Pastor Joe




No comments:

Post a Comment